One-Banana Banana Bread

title
I know, I know. Not another banana bread recipe.  I can’t help myself…I love a good banana bread!  And although I do have my favorite “best” recipe (which I haven’t shared yet…so I have to warn you that there will be at least one more banana bread post hereabouts), I can’t help trying out new ones.  Especially now that little C is off to school and banana bread makes such an excellent (and not too junky) snack.

Before we move on to this particular recipe, if you, like me, are also a big fan of this ubiquitous but soul-satisfying quick bread, I’ve made a quick round up of all the banana bread recipes I have posted here.  In case you wanted to go exploring down that path…

A liberatingly easy, one-bowl, no mixer recipe that is perfect when you are short on time.  

The same recipe as above but with the addition of awonderful streusel topping I came by from a dear friend.  

A recipe from one of my favorite cookbook authors, Tessa Kiros, found in her enchanting book Apples for Jam…to which I added a chocolate chip crumb topping because, really, why not

A chocolate banana bread because everything in my life must have a chocolate version.  

And in that same line, everything in my life must also have a Nutella version.

To make banana bread even more kid and picnic friendly than it already is, just bake your favorite recipe as cupcakes…then add some Nutella self-frosting action.  I cannot recommend this enough.  

So, what is so special about this recipe?  It uses only one banana.  And if you have ever experienced the sad tragedy of a lone banana rapidly over-ripening on your counter, you will appreciate having this in your arsenal.

One-Banana Banana Bread
(adapted from The Faux Martha)
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk (or a combination of plain yogurt and milk, which is what I used)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, put a heaping-tablespoon-sized splodge of yogurt in a liquid measuring jug.  Top this up with milk until it reaches 1/3 cup, stirring well.  Let this stand for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the melted butter and the buttermilk (or milk/yogurt mixture) into the dry ingredients. Add the egg and stir until well combined.  Add the banana and vanilla. Stir until just combined. Spread the batter into a buttered loaf pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then finish cooling on a rack.

The original recipe includes a crumb topping…which I was too busy (lazy) to make.  That’s not to say that I do not resolutely believe that banana bread should have a crumb topping…because I do, quite firmly in fact (see above).  Crumb topping is one of the best things that could happen to banana bread.  Nutella is another (again, see above).  That being said, this is absolutely fine on its own.  And the feeling you get from making short and efficient work of that last banana, that would have otherwise been chucked, is priceless.  This will work with one whole cup all purpose flour or, as I did here, half all purpose and half whole wheat pastry flour.  A slice of this is lovely with a hot cup of coffee or tea, and is perfect to tuck into someone’s lunchbox. 

I hope you are all having a restful weekend, filled with all sorts of good things, banana bread optional, to fuel you through to the next week!