Dry Roasted Ribs


I had been wanting to try this out ever since I read about dry ribs on iheartbacon.com, a wonderful food blog by Megwoo that immediately endeared itself to my bacon-loving heart. The description made my mouth water and the method sounded pretty simple so I was raring to go. I tried it twice, first with beef short ribs and then with pork baby back ribs (pork ribs pictured here, like Megwoo I only have a picture of the "part 2" because the first try got eaten up before the camera could get to it!).

Both were excellent! The flavor was great and the meat so tender with crispy outer edges. The beef ribs reminded me of Crispy Tadyang, a local dish here of deep fried beef spareribs.

Megwoo rubbed her ribs with salt and pepper before sticking it in the oven but I used some St. Louis Rib Rub I had lying around instead. Here's what she did: Basically you just rub your seasoning on the ribs and stick them in the oven at 350 F. You flip them after 45 minutes and cook for another 45 minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave them in the oven for another 30 minutes. This is what I did for the pork ribs, but I had to cook the beef ribs longer in order for them to get tender.

Nice surprise: I didn't put enough rub on the beef ribs (it was my first try) so I just sprinkled the ribs with rock salt while they were still hot. Oh boy. That sure provided the needed magic! It was so tasty!

I served the ribs with Rosemary Garlic Potatoes:

- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rosemary (I used dried, no fresh, sigh...)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley

Place cubed potatoes in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. Toss around until everything is coated. Bake until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.


Look at that meat! There is just something so primal about sticking a big hunka-hunka meat in your oven and coming out with this big roasted slab. I swear, I just grabbed at it and tore some ribs off and ate with my hands. I just had to. It made me do it!