Breakfast # 2: Ham & Eggs Stack


Another morning in life and I find myself scrounging around our fridge for breakfast...my favorite of meals and the backbone of any good day. Lo and behold, I find some roasted ham bought from the Salcedo market. Mmmm, I feel my tummy wanting some traditional ham & eggs! A simple, easy, breakfast staple. Yes, can do.

I chose some country bread as my carbo/starch and set about making my "stack":

1. Toast three pieces country bread (or any kind of bread you're in the mood for or have on hand...I think this would also be great with the Monroe bread they make at Ji-Pan or maybe a bread that's got cheese in it).
2. Prepare a soft-scrambled egg (I only used one egg). Sprinkle a bit of salt on the scramble after it has finished cooking. You can try this with a fried or poached egg as well.
3. Fry the ham lightly with a little oil (I used olive oil but feel free to substitute). I used the roasted ham because it was on hand and because it had a good fat-marbling, but you can use a leaner ham if you're not a horrible fat-fanatic like me.
4. Stack them up! Bread-egg-bread-ham-bread...or any which way you please!

I had my stack with some chopped tomatoes on the side to offset the fatty-ness of the ham. Simple, delicious, perfect...a good start to another day.