My Favorite Sandwich (and a list)

titleI am such a delinquent.  It's been almost two weeks since I've been here last and I have nothing to show for it but a sandwich.  I know.  And I promise, or at least very fervently hope, to have something fancier for you when I next post.  But for now, let me just say with as much passion, that this is one of my very very favorite sandwiches.  Ever.  In the history of mankind.  Plus, it's a breeze to put together, only 4 ingredients (including the bread), and highly adaptable within the same theme.  So you see, it's not just any sandwich I leave you with.

Also, since I've been away for a while, reluctantly mired in work while beset with some stubborn bug, I've decided to just share some bit and pieces of what's been going on, along with some links I've been liking :)

**  The October issue of Yummy magazine is still out and I've shared my family's Mexican and Red Bean Rice recipe in my column.  Both big and little C love it and I hope you do to!  The November issue should be out soon (the dessert issue!  stay tuned for that!) but you still have time to grab this one :)

**  I am Divasoria's latest glossy girl!  I was shocked (but oh so flattered) that she asked me.  I am not exactly a poster child for glamour and sophistication.  So to all you soap-and-water girls out there, that's proof that you don't need a lavish beauty routine to be a glossy girl ;)

**  Arguably one of the best local food hacks ever.  Must try soon!!

**  It's Halloween season, and though I was too busy to whip up some homemade treats, we did manage a fair bit of costume shopping :)  It's Super Girl, Pirate, Cheerleader, and Hawaiian Dancer this year!  What are you planning for Halloween?

**  Next book purchase will definitely be this!

**  I thoroughly enjoyed two food blogger related dinners I attended over the past couple of weeks.  One was a dinner organized by Pinoy Eats World and Mr. Delicious to showcase his artisanal local wagyu corned beef.  The other was arranged by the group behind Table For Three, Please: a gastronomic delight of a journey called Dinner for Dessert at the Goose Station.  Both were a lovely mix of good food and good people.  Love reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones!

**  Latest local non-food blog that I am loving -- Behind the Seams by Tippi Ocampo :)


And now, onto the sandwich.  As you can probably already tell from the photo, the sandwich's basic components are cheese, bacon, and some kind of sweet jelly or syrup.  This love affair started many years ago when I was based in Amsterdam for work and I would make this with bacon, smoked Gouda, and stroop (the Dutch sugar syrup which is dark and duskily flavored).  Today's incarnation is made with a new favorite combination: bacon, guava jelly, and melted raclette cheese.  I know this may seem strange to some but trust me, the combination of the sweet and sticky jelly, pungent and melty cheese, and smokey and crispy (not to mention meaty and fatty) bacon is magical.  Feel free to experiment with different cheeses and jellies and syrups.  I'm sure this would be fantastic with maple syrup or honey.

So, what are your favorite sandwiches? :)