Through almost seven years of blogging I realize, with a start, that I haven’t really changed all that much. Well, I have grown somewhat I’d like to think. I believe I can safely say that my photography skills have improved to some extent – although, truth be told, I suspect that is largely due to my camera upgrade than from any amazing talent on my part. I have also, finally, managed to smarten up the look here – although that is, by and large, due to the talents my lovely blog designer. So yes, there have been changes….but the basic essence of it, its soul (if you will allow me a little cheesiness here), remains the same.
And really, I’m glad for it. For me, this blog has always been, from that first hopeful post in 2005 until now (a husband, a baby, and two moves later), an extension of my person, and as such, has always been immensely personal. My food, my thoughts, my culinary journey. Simple, overly and overtly simple at times…but, without doubt or discussion, all mine.
So, you could say, I am not the most savvy when it comes to what is actually going on “out there” in the heady world of blogging. While others launch themselves wholeheartedly into a flurry of new and exciting ways to reach and interact with more readers, I’ve been right here clacking away at my keyboard, on my third latte, happily tucking into a Canadian ham/brie/wilted wild arugula/chipotle fried egg tartine. I am blithering dolt at parties when people ask me about product reviews and sponsors and “how to engage readers” or “tap into more bloggers”. I can tell you how to make really good scrambled eggs though! Search Engine Optimization? No clue. Pork Belly Caramelization? That I can do!
Be all that as it may, I just wanted to say, I DO love you dear readers! Oh so very much actually. Have I been a bad, bad blogger for not optimizing my reaching out to you? If I have, I am sorry. To make it up to you I have decided to have a giveaway! Your comments and emails are a big part of the inspiration that goes into making this little space such a haven for me. Let me show my gratitude with…mushrooms :)
Mushrooms with Chinese Goose Liver Sausage
- Canola oil (or any other mild flavored oil)
- 2 pieces Chinese goose liver sausage (about 70 grams total), sliced on the diagonal
- 100 grams shitake mushrooms, stems trimmed and caps sliced
- 100 grams oyster mushrooms, whole or cut in two if very large
- 1 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Some water, if needed
- Place the soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and sugar in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat and wok or skillet on medium high heat. When hot add a swirl of canola oil. When the oil is hot add the sausage and sauté for a few minutes until sausage softens a bit and edges are slightly toasted. Remove from pan a set aside.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and toss. Add part of the sauce mixture, toss until all the mushrooms are coated, and cover. Let this cook for a couple more minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms have softened.
- Add sausage back to the pan along with the rest of the sauce mixture, stir, and cook just until the mushrooms have fully softened. If it gets too dry add a bit of water.
I stingily used the last of my Chinese goose liver sausage for this and I can say, with all confidence, that it was well worth it. Have this with heaps, and I do mean heaps, of steaming white rice and you will be in Chinese goose liver sausage nirvana. Which is, in my book, a very good place to be.
So, without further ado…what I am giving away, to one lucky reader, is a pack of dried oyster mushrooms from the Ministry of Mushrooms! I have mentioned them before here and I have been an avid customer since I first came upon them. I love mushrooms, and I love local purveyors who are passionate about what they stand behind. So I have decided to share that love with you.
I will need to limit this giveaway to readers within the Philippines – sadly, I can’t guarantee that posting some mushrooms overseas will go off without a hitch. For all of you over here, all you have to do is leave a comment, that’s it! Before my next blog post (which should be a week from now) I will put all your names in a hat, and pick one, and ta-da, the mushrooms are yours! I will announce the winner in my next blog post.
If lots of you think that this is fun then we will definitely do it again. I have a bunch of ideas already brewing in my head and I can’t wait to share, literally, the things I love with you! Happy weekend friends!