Breakfast #51: Fried Egg in Aligue (crab fat)

title
I am a relic.  In a world where fitness has swept the universe on its endorphin-powered chariot, leaving in its wake legions of runners, bikers, triathletes,and plana forma disciples, I remain resolutely languid.  Feel the burn?  Runner’s high? I listen to a multitude of people wax delirious about their physical activity of choice, still as puzzled and as dubious as I’ve always been.

It’s not that I question fitness or physical activity.  Not at all!  Exercise, it all its many forms, is good for you – and that’s the inescapable truth.  But I just can’t get on the fist-pumping, limit-pushing, sweat-dripping  bandwagon, try as I might.  And I have tried.  Really and truly.  But where other feel a sense of glorious exhilaration, I only feel nauseous and ornery.

Sports are definitely out.  Not only do I possess zero coordination or athletic prowess, anything to do with competition makes me miserable.  Solo activities like running or biking do not attract me in the least.  And don't even mention the gym to me.

So as far as physical activities are concerned, that leaves power-shopping, power-erranding, and my once a week walk to the neighborhood market.  Not much.  Although a step more active than reading…which is my preferred activity, truth be told.

I love decadence, indulging, napping with pajamas, long scalding-hot showers, burrowing under soft cool sheets, stretching, dancing , sleeping outdoors, sleeping in, 3-hour lunches with wine, hammocking, floating on my back, sniffing my baby pillow, brunch cocktails, stirring hot chocolate, lip-synching, and kneading dough.

The world is leaving me behind.  But it’s ok.  Because I have this to keep me company.

Fried Egg in Aligue (crab fat)
  • 1 egg, the best you can find or afford
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small clove of garlic, very finely minced or passed through a garlic press
  • 1 tablespoon aligue (crab fat)
  • Sea salt

- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat.  Add the oil.  When the oil is hot, add the garlic.  After a few seconds, when you can smell the garlic frying, add the aligue (crab fat).  With your spatula/turner, quickly mix the aligue with the oil and garlic.  Blend well until you have a deliciously dangerous looking mass of bubbling orange sin. 
- Onto this bed of foamy orange, gently lay your egg.  As the whites set, gently flip the aligue onto the egg whites and yolk.  Keep doing this patiently until the whites are set but the yolk remains runny.  Sprinkle a little sea salt on the yolk.
- Slide the egg and all the aligue onto your plate…or better yet onto a steaming mound of rice.  Consume immediately.  This dish does not like waiting around.

Aligue is crab fat and, over here, in a country of truly fearless people, it can be easily acquired sold in bottles.  If you are not comfortable having 2 tablespoons of fat (one animal and one vegetable…I’m nothing if not fair) in one serving then please feel free to reduce either to the quantity you are comfortable with.  If you are, however, comfortable having more, by all means indulge!  I would compensate though with some extra strenuous reading after ;)

Please don’t get me wrong.  I would love to one day be bitten my some hyper-energetic bug that will miraculously turn my potential into kinetic and my soft curves (I have lots to spare) into hard angles (I sure could use those).  Until then I suppose I’ll just have to be content with the passions I’ve been dealt.  I’m certainly not complaining.  Pass the cozy and wake me when the coffee’s on please :)