Back From Neverland

title
My goodness. I have been remiss here haven’t I? But you know how it is…fresh from the arms of a wonderful vacation you land smack in a mammoth mountain of work. How I wish I had the luxury of “recovering” from the blissful days of sun, sand, and sea by lying on my bed, reflecting on the joy of being with family and the perfection of Guimaras mangoes.

But, as you and I both know, that is not the way the cookie crumbles, and hitting the ground running (sprinting!) is more the reality of the day.

So…I am currently between all-week meetings, and as such, can only offer you some photos from my little summer getaway in lieu of a proper post and recipe.

title
I had been brimming with excitement about our Iloilo trip for over a month already. That is where my mother’s side of the family comes from and I used to spend summers there as a child. I hadn’t been back since then so I was beside myself. I couldn’t wait to return…now with a little one of my own.

title
The trip was a whirlwind of fantastic food and even more fantastic company. Sadly, I will have to disappoint and say that I don’t have much photos of the food…I guess the summer air, coupled with pre-meal wines and afternoon San Miguels, made me a tad lax when it came to serious food photography. I did manage to snap some shots with my phone to give you a peek at the amazing seafood to be had in Iloilo.

title
From there we were off to Guimaras, famed for their pristine beaches, untouched coves, and out of this world mangoes. One such cove was our destination. Our "neverland" as my aunt refers to it. And what a "neverland" it was!

title
We camped out under the stars. We had fresh grilled fish, lobster, roast pig, and of course, the mangoes (which Little C enjoyed immensely). Good wine, tinto de verano, and mojitos (which Little C is not yet allowed to sample).

title
We had a fantastic time. There is really nothing like taking some time to sink your toes in the sand and be with the people you love. And Little C loved it just as much! Even more if that is at all possible. We could scarcely tear her away from the beach. She is truly an island girl!

title
I hope this tides you over until next week! I promise I have some dishes to share…one that comes from my latest cookbook purchase with which I am so very pleased! Till then wish me good luck and much energy!