Refrigerator Pickles

title
It’s been another sweltering day in my city and I could barely crank up the energy to go to the little art exhibit in the park down the street, much as I wanted to. And although I’d really really like to cook something fabulous, that is proving to be a bit of a challenge in this heat.

I admit, this may not be the best time to make a slow-cooked bolognese from scratch (though I did try that last week because I sometimes fancy myself a rebel), but it is a good time to do any or all of the following:
  • Reconnect with your organic farmer – the produce is looking lovely these days and if you have a chance to get them direct from the source I highly recommend it. I find that the flavor of organic vegetables is always so much more vibrant than their dull supermarket cousins. Of course, it goes without saying that avoiding icky chemicals in our food is my main motivation, especially for the little one. It’s better for our planet too. And I like supporting small farmers…they rock and I want them to stick around! This salad was made with my organic farmer's talbos kamote (sweet potato leaves), tomatoes, and young native onions.
  • Make refrigerator pickles – I have posted about my love for pickling before. This isn't the type of pickling that requires cooking, boiling, sterilizing, or any method that involves heat. This isn't about staying in the kitchen for hours going through a mountain of raw materials...just as small (or medium-ish) a ration of veggies as you'd like. Make a mixture of vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and any sort of spice, herb, or aromatic (go with whatever strikes your fancy!) and place in a clean jar with your vegetables (make sure the veggies are all covered in your pickling liquid). Keep the jar in the fridge and you will always have something cool, crunchy, and tangy to have with your meals when the days turn sweltering. The one pictured here was made with cucumbers, green finger chilis, and native onions also from our organic farmer :)
  • Don’t sweat the small stuff – When even the tiniest movements seem to make beads of sweat form, you don’t need any extra provocation. Heat saps your energy – now is not the time to be worrying about the fluctuation in your internet or your housekeeper leaving. Save that blog post on Word and cozy up with an amazing Sci-fi novel. Call out for pizza. Press pause and be thankful for the things that really count.

I never did make it to the art fair, but I did get to sit and laugh in my scruffies with a very good friend and a very special little girl :) Not a bad showing for an otherwise lazy day. Plus I’ve got some cucumber pickles chilling in the fridge…what more could a girl want? :)

Update: More about refrigerator pickles over at The Kitchen!