Greek-Style Patani/Lima Beans

title
Here’s a secret. Sometimes I crave fabulousness and excitement. I want towering stilettos, preferably patent and pointy and liable to break your feet in three places. I want dresses that look like songs were written for them. I want late nights of dancing. And flashbulbs. And drama. And dishes that take many days and a fairy godmother to make.

Sometimes.

Then there are times when I want simple and straightforward. Tranquil contentment. Good bread with butter and salt. Staying home with newly laundered sheets and a good book. I want flip flops and my pink flats with the rubber sole. And freshly squeezed orange juice. And sensibility. And simple ingredients put together in a simple way.

Which ultimately become fabulous.

When it comes to simple yet fabulous dishes that highlight an ingredient to its utmost best I turn to Molly of Orangette. Look at what she has done to Brussels sprouts (a dish I fell in mad, mad, crazy love with). And chickpeas. And shallots. And mushrooms.

It is to her blog’s welcoming doorstep that I eventually found myself when searching for something to make of the bag of patani (lima beans) I had picked up at the market. I usually have them with bacon or prosciutto, but I was ready for something new. But simple. But fabulous. And I found it.

Greek-Style Patani/Lima Beans
(adapted from Orangette)

  • 250 grams fresh patani
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • Sea salt to taste

- Blanch the fresh patani in boiling water for about 5 minute. Drain and peel.
- Combine the peeled patani, water, olive oil, parsley, garlic, and salt in a saucepan. Place the pan over medium heat, and cook, covered but stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, and serve, drizzled with more olive oil, if you like.
- Serves 2.

I don’t know how close patani is exactly to lima beans, perhaps they are one and the same…or perhaps siblings grown in different climes thus possessing slightly different traits. In any case, this recipe worked beautifully with patani as I’m sure it did with Molly’s lima beans. I love these beans, so their flavor and texture ringing true and clear in this dish won my heart. That and the unrepentant pungency of the garlic, for which I am also a fan. I’m sure this would be amazing as a side with some delicately prepared fish. Or as Molly (and I) had it with some crusty bread. If you have leftovers I imagine they would do well as a dip or spread – either whizzed in a processor or chunkily smushed with a fork, perhaps with some goat’s cheese or Greek yogurt mixed in.

Simple. Fabulous.