Homemade Christmas Gifts...oh my!


This is the first time I am making my own (hand made with much love if not expertise!) foodie Christmas gifts. I had been toying with the idea for some time now. I have made food gifts in the past, but these were all for individual persons, on individual occasions. I had the luxury of time to plan out personalized selections, excitedly including what I knew were favorites, expanding the selection as much as my imagination dictated. Christmas is a whole other affair. Multiple recipients, timing, and the logistics of it all daunted me. But all the inspiring posts out there about fabulous Christmas goodies straight out of the kitchen motivated me to go for it.

Also, this is the first Christmas C and I will be giving joint presents. Our little dry run for next year. So why not mark this first with another? Something which perhaps will lead to our very first Christmas tradition...and something which can be continued next year from our very own shared kitchen. Ok, warm and tingly moment there.

Moving right along, what to give? I decided on something I have already tried (no need to up the stress level unnecessarily)...these dark and decadent chocolate truffles. This is one of the first recipes I bookmarked from a food blog -- Truffes au Chocolat from Chocolate & Zucchini. Clotilde made these as Christmas presents back in 2003. She is an inspiration, and so here I am, 2 years later, trying to follow her talented Parisian footsteps. I am rolling some in unsweetened cocoa (as above) and others in crushed walnuts. I have merrily procured some gold tins, chocolate brown ribbon, white paper doilies, plastic sacks with a white lace design, and gold wire ties to package these little balls of chocolate goodness.

Good luck to me and Happy Holidays to everyone!!! Here's to a very merry Christmas with great food all around! :)