Sunday lunch with Marketman


Seems like it was only yesterday that I discovered Market Manila, through an article in one of our local dailies. The brainchild of the mysterious Marketman, it features everything Filipino-foodie-related: from ingredients and their origins, to wonderful markets to visit, to scrumptious recipes to try. Marketman's was the first food weblog I stumbled across and was responsible for getting me all fired up about food blogs (and probably a part of the reason I got the nerve to start 80 Breakfasts -- coincidence: his was the very first comment this blog recieved!).

Now, many blog comments later, the first Market Manila Eyeball is organized. Honestly, I had no idea what to expect...but I was not missing it. That was for sure! :)

It was held in Galileo Enoteca, a cozy Italian wine shop (with other things on offer like Italian cold cuts and cheeses, and Italian specialty food items...I am returning for more goodies, that much is certain!) in Mandaluyong.

The EB turned out to be a fun and fantastic occasion. Marketman's fans turned out in energetic force. Total strangers with hands reaching across plates and wineglasses, "Hi there! I'm ____!". Emphatic comments like: "Mmmm! This is sooo good!", or "Try this one, it's delicious!". Plate after plate of amazingly mouth watering appetizers were placed on the table (with accompanying wine of course), after which three wonderful pasta dishes were brought out (despite all the antipasti I consumed I was still ready, able and willing to have all three pastas!). An excellent cup of espresso to top everything off. And for dessert...Marketman's special gift for each of us: made-from-scratch ensaymadas, the lastest batch from his intense ensaymada recipe testing series.

Aside from finally meeting the great Marketman in person (and Mrs. Marketman too!), it was an opportunity to meet fellow food-lovers, as well as other bloggers whose blogs I regularly visit (and some who visit here as well!). I'm so glad have gotten the chance to meet all of you!

Let me say this, if success is measured in contented sighs from excellent food and wine, great conversations, and uproarious laughter, then this event was definitely a success! Good food, good energy, and a goody bag to boot, made for a very satiated Sunday for me. Thanks Marketman! I had a ball! :)

For a more complete round up, please see Marketman's EB post. For another MM EB post, also check out Lori's (with amazing food shots as per usual!).